My name is George M. Diekhoff, Ph.D. I'm currently a Professor of Psychology at a mid-sized liberal arts university in the Texas Tech system. My university emphasizes a balance of excellence in teaching and research. I was a Department Chair and Graduate Program Coordinator for nearly 20 years. In 2010 I was named Regents' Professor for exemplary contributions in teaching, research, and service.
I am the author of two statistics textbooks (one for undergraduates and the other for graduate students), I've published about a hundred journal articles and book chapters, and I'm the sole proprietor of Dissertation Statistics Helper. I bring the mind of a researcher and the heart of a teacher to the work I do with my clients.
I provide research design and statistical consulting services. Most of my clients are working on their dissertations, DNP projects, or other capstone research. I can help you sort through your research design options, determine what statistical analyses you need, and do those analyses for you. I'll write your Method and Results chapters so that you can either use them verbatim or as a model to write your chapters.
I also work with professors on their research and I assist both for-profit and nonprofit organizations with program evaluations and the analysis of data from clinical trials.
When you work with the big statistical consulting companies, your project will be handed off to the next available staff analyst. You may never know who you're dealing with. It could be an experienced statistician or it could be a graduate student who has hired on to make some extra money. In contrast, when you hire me you will be confident knowing that you're working with me and me alone. Your project won't be off-shored or outsourced.
If you are in the proposal development stage of your research I can:
- help you to reframe your research questions in more productive ways,
- select the best possible research design to collect the data you need--descriptive, correlational, quasi-experimental, or experimental,
- help you develop your measures and design an SPSS data file to hold your data,
- perform power analyses using G*Power and SPSS SamplePower software to determine sample size requirements for your study,
- assist you in preparing your survey and host it for you on my SurveyMonkey account.
When your proposal has been approved and your data have been collected, I will:
- take care of data cleaning and screening,
- thoroughly test the statistical assumptions of the statistics for your study,
- run statistical analyses appropriate to describing your sample and addressing your research questions (including analyses that you might not have thought of),
- write up the results of the analyses in APA style, ready to cut-and-paste into your dissertation or to serve as a model that you can follow in writing your own chapters,
- work with you patiently to make sure you understand your results,
- help you to craft answers to questions your committee members pose,
- and I will stick with you until you pass your oral defense.
My Ph.D. is in quantitative experimental psychology, but I've served as methodologist and statistician on hundreds of dissertations, theses, DNP capstone projects, program evaluations, clinical trials, and other research endeavors across a wide variety of disciplines:
- social services,
- education and educational psychology,
- business administration,
- health sciences,
- organizational psychology,
- mass communications, and
- religious studies.
I've published two statistics books (Basic Statistics for the Social and Behavioral Sciences and Statistics for the Social and Behavioral Sciences: Univariate, Bivarate, and Multivariate), several teachers' guides, student study guides, and nearly 100 peer-reviewed quantitative research articles and book chapters.
My fee is $80/hour, so the cost of your project will depend a lot on when we start working together. Are you still working on your proposal? If I start working with you during the proposal stage, the final total cost of the dissertation might reach $1,200-$1,600, but it might be worth it to you to avoid costly methodological mistakes.
Do you already have your data collected and just need me to run your statistics and write up the results? That will take much less time and your total cost would more likely be in the $600-$900 range. The average cost of the projects I've worked on over the past five years has been about $800 but about a third of the projects I've worked on have cost less than $400. One thing you can be sure of is that I will complete your project for substantially less than the big statistical consulting companies.
The cost of your project also depends on how many research questions you're addressing, what kinds of analyses will be called for, how many variables you're working with, and what shape your data files are in. It is impossible to know exactly where the analyses will lead or what changes your dissertation committee will want to make along the way. However, If you will send me a detailed description of your project, the nature of the data, and your research questions, I'll be happy to give you an estimate of your costs. The information I need to make an estimate is typically included in Chapters 1 (Introduction) and 3 (Method) of the dissertation proposal and in the proposal Appendices.
Sometimes my work with a client is concluded after only a week or two. Other times I will work with a client for a year or even more. Either way, I want to develop a meaningful relationship with you, based on honesty, mutual respect, integrity, and trust. I'll keep you informed of options to save you money along the way, and I'll bill you at an hourly rate that is fair to both of us -- $80/hour. The truth is that I do a lot of work off-the-clock because I want to be absolutely certain that I'm treating you fairly. And I work quickly because I've been doing this for a long time!
Yes! I do the work first, submit it to you for your approval, and if you like it, you pay me. If you don't like my work, I hope that you will give me a chance to make it right, but if the work is not what you wanted, you don't pay for it. It's that simple. You won't find a simpler, better guarantee anywhere.
Contact me by email or go to my Contact page. Tell me a little about your project. I'll get back to you within 24 hours. If you think you haven't heard from me by then, check your spam folder! I pride myself on being available to you quickly.
- I'll ask you to send me additional information--your research proposal, including research questions, copies of any surveys or instruments you're using, and your data, if you have collected data already. Your identity and everything you send me will be kept absolutely confidential and will not be shared with anyone else.
- You might not have anything more than an idea. That's fine too. I'm happy to work with you in developing your research proposal from the ground up.
- I'll review the information you send me within a day or two and will get back to you with my recommendations and an estimate of your costs. All of this preliminary work is absolutely free.
- Once you've seen my recommendations and estimate, let me know if you want to hire me. If so, I'll get started immediately. There's no up-front fee. I do the work first and you only pay me if you're happy with it.
- Once I start your project I'll be in touch with you regularly. We'll quickly develop a relationship based on earned trust, respect, communication, and collegiality.
- After I've completed a block of work for you, I'll send it to you for your approval. If my work isn't what you expected, I'll do my best to make it right. I won't expect you to pay me until you are satisfied with the work I've done for you.
- We'll continue in this manner until the project is done and you've passed your oral defense.
- If you decide that you want to publish your research, I'll assist you in turning your work into a manuscript.
Send me a description of your project now by email. I'll see what I can do to help you. There's no charge, no obligation, and no risk.
(Remember, check your spam folder if you haven't heard from me within 24 hours!)